Chevy Spark EV Range Test, 97.8 miles @ 62mph, Aug 5, 2013

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After driving Leafs for the past 3 plus years, I'm finding the Spark EV is capable of range far beyond what I ever got from a Leaf. For example, yesterday I drove from Davis CA to Oakland Airport, a distance of 83 miles. I easily made it there on a single charge, and had two bars left on the GOM, and an indicated 18 miles of range left. Admittedly there was a lot of heavy traffic, so I was below 60 mph most of the time, but still, I was pleasantly surprised. The trip home returned similar results, while driving at much higher speeds, thanks to light traffic and a tailwind. This is right in line with the OP results of 97.8 miles at 62 mph.

It's not really apples to apples. Your Leaf is 2012 and old battery while SparkEV is 2015 new battery. 98 miles was with 2014 model that had bigger battery, 88 miles with 2015. Speed makes a huge difference in range with EV, so if you got something more than EPA SparkEV rating at lower speed, that isn't an indictment against Leaf's EPA rating.

However, Leaf does have bit less range than SparkEV at higher speed, though some indicate it may have more range at lower speed. SparkEV went about 140 miles at 25 MPH, and some claim Leaf went almost 150 miles at similar low speed.

Back