DC fast charging: J1772 CCS vs CHAdeMO vs Supercharger, etc.

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
nozferatu said:
Oberon said:
TonyWilliams said:
I'm competing against Frankenplug, much like GM and German car makers are competing against CHAdeMO.
You present yourself as an advocate of EV's in general so the plug obsession is both irritating and baffling. The plug standards contest is really just a flea on the side of an elephant as far as obstacles to EV uptake go, but some of your many posts about it get so wound up and hostile that you end up sounding like a crank.

If you don't work for Nissan, or a plug supplier, why do you care so passionately about the plug? It's just a plug. What drives this level of energy? Did a malfunctioning CCS prototype electrocute your dog? To say "I'm competing against Frankenplug" implies a direct stake in the battle, not just a general desire to protect under-informed consumers. Honest discourse requires that if you do have a financial or career interest in the plug wars, you should disclose it.

Oberon,

Indeed...he's just a troll...ignore him. Eventually he'll crawl back under the rock he came out of. Dig a little deeper and I'd venture to say he probably does have ties to one particular company or some other thing.

There are more important things in life to worry about that whether SAE or CHAdeMO are adopted...he's a loser if he's so obsessed about it. In the meantime hopefully Spark EV owners here can keep talking about their cars without this dolt ruining it for everyone else.
Tony is most definitely not a troll, he's done a great deal to provide information to the LEAF and RAV4 EV communities on performance, charger/spare tire/tow modifications etc., shining a light on the LEAF's battery degradation in hot weather through multi-car testing, doing range tests of assorted BEVs, as well as raising the profile of BEVs in general through his organization of and participation in the BC2BC EV rally and similar efforts. AFAIK the only personal stake he has in CHAdeMO vs. CCS is that he is (or was; not sure of his current status) CTO of a private company that installed a CHAdeMO in San Juan Capistrano, making BEV trips between LA and San Diego possible for LEAF and iMiEV owners. That hardly represents a major financial interest in CHAdeMO, or any reason to denigrate CCS because of it.

No, Tony's antipathy to CCS is heartfelt, because he thinks multiple standards will retard the installation of quick chargers generally, just as having multiple L2 standards in the '90s (various conductive, small paddle vs. large paddle inductive) was a problem then. But the major handicap to BEVs then, even more so than now, was that the cars just weren't ready for the mass market, and while lack of charging was important it was hardly the major issue.

I disagree with him at this stage, because at least J1772 L1/L2 is a standard in the U.S., and while it would undoubtedly be easier to have just a single QC standard, that's not going to happen for some time. It's no big deal to produce QCs with multiple standard connectors and associated firmware, and while they're undoubtedly somewhat more expensive than those using a single standard, the cost of _any_ QC is so high that the additional increment is unlikely to be the determining factor in financial viability. Right now no one other than Tesla is really making them pay. And even if we do have three standards out there, only Tesla's supports a car that has enough built-in range to make the car viable for longer regional or even out-of-region excursions; the others are all restricted in practice to shorter regional trips.

Ultimately I don't think CHAdeMO is the answer, because there's no overriding technical advantage to using a separate connector for DC QC. I suspect it was designed by Tepco et al because, given different connectors in use for L1/L2 in various countries, using a separate, dedicated connector made producing for different countries easier. That was a useful advantage before different countries started implementing QC standards of their own, but I think that idea is rapidly becoming obsolete. I think it's obvious that different countries or at least different continents will have their own standards for a long time, and the auto makers will just have to supply the appropriate one. Just as they do now for any number of things, even as seemingly trivial as outside mirrors (convex both sides in Germany, only on the passenger side in the U.S.). While providing for different QC standards will obviously boost the parts cost for the automaker, having both AC and DC supplied through the same connector will save money and real estate, so the costs are probably a wash.

gra said:
Tony is most definitely not a troll, he's done a great deal to provide information to the LEAF and RAV4 EV communities on performance, charger/spare tire/tow modifications etc., shining a light on the LEAF's battery degradation in hot weather through multi-car testing, doing range tests of assorted BEVs, as well as raising the profile of BEVs in general through his organization of and participation in the BC2BC EV rally and similar efforts. AFAIK the only personal stake he has in CHAdeMO vs. CCS is that he is (or was; not sure of his current status) CTO of a private company that installed a CHAdeMO in San Juan Capistrano, making BEV trips between LA and San Diego possible for LEAF and iMiEV owners. That hardly represents a major financial interest in CHAdeMO, or any reason to denigrate CCS because of it.

No, Tony's antipathy to CCS is heartfelt, because he thinks multiple standards will retard the installation of quick chargers generally, just as having multiple L2 standards in the '90s (various conductive, small paddle vs. large paddle inductive) was a problem then. But the major handicap to BEVs then, even more so than now, was that the cars just weren't ready for the mass market, and while lack of charging was important it was hardly the major issue.

I disagree with him at this stage, because at least J1772 L1/L2 is a standard in the U.S., and while it would undoubtedly be easier to have just a single QC standard, that's not going to happen for some time. It's no big deal to produce QCs with multiple standard connectors and associated firmware, and while they're undoubtedly somewhat more expensive than those using a single standard, the cost of _any_ QC is so high that the additional increment is unlikely to be the determining factor in financial viability. Right now no one other than Tesla is really making them pay. And even if we do have three standards out there, only Tesla's supports a car that has enough built-in range to make the car viable for longer regional or even out-of-region excursions; the others are all restricted in practice to shorter regional trips.

Ultimately I don't think CHAdeMO is the answer, because there's no overriding technical advantage to using a separate connector for DC QC. I suspect it was designed by Tepco et al because, given different connectors in use for L1/L2 in various countries, using a separate, dedicated connector made producing for different countries easier. That was a useful advantage before different countries started implementing QC standards of their own, but I think that idea is rapidly becoming obsolete. I think it's obvious that different countries or at least different continents will have their own standards for a long time, and the auto makers will just have to supply the appropriate one. Just as they do now for any number of things, even as seemingly trivial as outside mirrors (convex both sides in Germany, only on the passenger side in the U.S.). While providing for different QC standards will obviously boost the parts cost for the automaker, having both AC and DC supplied through the same connector will save money and real estate, so the costs are probably a wash.

Gra,

That's great what TW does for the LEAF owners but while he's been here, he most definitely acts like a troll. Frankly the information is out there for people to research...so I don't really care what he knows...it doesn't give him the right to come in here and act like an arrogant douchebag.

There are a lot of things I'm also heartfelt about...but I do not go to threads and forums and bash and belittle peoples' choices. It's his attitude that's the issue...not what he believes in.

I agree with you on the standard. SAE will grow just like other standards. No vehement hate for any of them from me. That's just absurd.

nozferatu said:
gra said:
Hardly hearsay, that was an official dealer quote for someone pricing the car. It certainly includes some extra dealer markup, and I agree that it will never fly at that price.
Who got this quote? What dealer? Where? When? Where are the official numbers?
http://insideevs.com/heres-a-look-at-a-bmw-i3-lease-quote-of-930-per-month/ answers it. The link was already posted.

I personally know George and I know he has an ActiveE. It came from Stevens Creek BMW in Santa Clara, CA. You can see his Facebook post w/this at https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10152130571788903&set=gm.586094218131110&type=1&theater. He made his post on 1/17/14.

You can see official pricing at http://www.bmwusa.com/standard/content/vehicles/2014/bmwi/default.aspx.

AFAIK, George still has plans to get an i3. I haven't been following his saga about whether financing has changed for the better/worse and about his changes in what he wants in terms of options. However, since he's an Electronaut, he's not forced to take the bloated w/expensive options Launch Edition.

nozferatu said:
That's great what TW does for the LEAF owners but while he's been here, he most definitely acts like a troll. Frankly the information is out there for people to research...so I don't really care what he knows...
It seems you feel he's a troll because he disagrees with you.

As for "the information is out there for people to research..."... sure, it's "out there" but how many folks w/o EVs and w/o knowledge of the standards even know where to look and understand what we've presented? You were incredibly confused as evidenced by the 2nd post you made here.
nozferatu said:
Do you assist with obtaining the Fast DC chargers for installing in our home?
From your initial confusion, I think you have to acknowledge that Tony and I have educated you (and others here) on DC FC standards.

As for you not caring what he knows, it seems you like to ignore facts presented to you. And, you've made statements that are just flat out wrong. Example of one where I had to correct you on: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5729#p5729.

cwerdna said:
nozferatu said:
It seems you feel he's a troll because he disagrees with you.

Not at all. I've not disagreed with the facts...it's his attitude. Please don't convey the situation incorrectly.

From your initial confusion, I think you have to acknowledge that Tony and I have educated you (and others here) on DC FC standards.

Yes and I quickly realized it's not that complicated, all the information is available on the net and can be understood far more easily than listening to his dogma about how bad SAE is. Someone being knowledgeable about something doesn't give them a passport to be trolls.

As for you not caring what he knows, it seems you like to ignore facts presented to you. And, you've made statements that are just flat out wrong. Example of one where I had to correct you on: http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5729#p5729.

Really? I don't see much wrong with what I said. You keep harking on about facts. But others are telling you that you don't have a crystal ball and don't know what the future holds. Up until 7-8 years ago, there was no Tesla and there were no Superchargers...did you and TW predict that too?

Again, coming into a forum and acting high and mighty and telling people here that their choice is doomed and we are lame for supporting such a standard is counterproductive and pathetic. That is what you need to understand and accept.

nozferatu said:
Really? I don't see much wrong with what I said. You keep harking on about facts. But others are telling you that you don't have a crystal ball and don't know what the future holds. Up until 7-8 years ago, there was no Tesla and there were no Superchargers...did you and TW predict that too?
Tesla, the company began in 2003 (http://www.teslamotors.com/about).

It seems you and a few others like to ignore the facts and resort to hand waving. Sure, we have no crystal ball, but you've presented no evidence contrary to what we've been saying over and over. If there were CCS players who were actually serious about DC FCing EVs in the US beyond wildcard BMW (a low quantity seller of vehicles in the US), then it'd have a better chance.

cwerdna said:
nozferatu said:
Tesla, the company began in 2003 (http://www.teslamotors.com/about).

It seems you and a few others like to ignore the facts and resort to hand waving. Sure, we have no crystal ball, but you've presented no evidence contrary to what we've been saying over and over. If there were CCS players who were actually serious about DC FCing EVs in the US beyond wildcard BMW (a low quantity seller of vehicles in the US), then it'd have a better chance.

So sorry I was off by a few years.... :roll:

Believe what you want. I'm not troubled by it as much as you are...so showing evidence is moot as I believe other standards will come about as more vehicles from different manufacturers are produced. Not everyone wants to drive a LEAF and most everyone can't afford a Tesla.

nozferatu said:
Believe what you want. I'm not troubled by it as much as you are...so showing evidence is moot as I believe other standards will come about as more vehicles from different manufacturers are produced. Not everyone wants to drive a LEAF and most everyone can't afford a Tesla.
Oh great, just what we need... yet more standards!

standards.png

Showing evidence is moot? We've already gone over the numbers, players (and their seriousness) over and over here.

I agree on your last sentence, hence you should be lobbying EV makers and equipment makers to support existing standards (possibly via creating adapters), rather than further fragmentation AND not being serious about even using nor supporting their solution in search of a problem.

cwerdna said:
nozferatu said:
Oh great, just what we need... yet more standards!

standards.png

Showing evidence is moot? We've already gone over the numbers, players (and their seriousness) over and over here.

I agree on your last sentence, hence you should be lobbying EV makers and equipment makers to support existing standards (possibly via creating adapters), rather than further fragmentation AND not being serious about even using nor supporting their solution in search of a problem.

No one is forcing you to use one over the other. But just because you like one over the other doesn't make it right...sorry.

The adapter standards are the LEAST of the issues EV's have....you're just making more noise than you need to.

BTW, I was going to post this in another thread but I guess I'll add it here.

How well do people think a standard being promoted by not very large volume seller (BMW) + a tiny selling CA ZEV compliance car (also sold in OR) will do when a serious player (Nissan) has been fumbling? This is why Tony and I keep bringing up numbers (such as at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5554#p5554).

By Nissan fumbling, I'm talking about them doing a pretty lackluster job on US CHAdeMO expansion on many fronts (e.g. poor communications, owners stumbling across dealers w/DC FCs but no announcement anywhere before nor after it's operational, broken DC FCs (sometimes for weeks), random unpredictable access policies and hours, no unified web page to find them, weird locations picked (e.g. CHOMP, Bakersfield and Visalia per http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354205#p354205), etc.)

I confirmed the above 3 locations on Plugshare...

cwerdna said:
BTW, I was going to post this in another thread but I guess I'll add it here.

How well do people think a standard being promoted by not very large volume seller (BMW) + a tiny selling CA ZEV compliance car (also sold in OR) will do when a serious player (Nissan) has been fumbling? This is why Tony and I keep bringing up numbers (such as at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5554#p5554).

By Nissan fumbling, I'm talking about them doing a pretty lackluster job on US CHAdeMO expansion on many fronts (e.g. poor communications, owners stumbling across dealers w/DC FCs but no announcement anywhere before nor after it's operational, broken DC FCs (sometimes for weeks), random unpredictable access policies and hours, no unified web page to find them, weird locations picked (e.g. CHOMP, Bakersfield and Visalia per http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=354205#p354205), etc.)

I confirmed the above 3 locations on Plugshare...
So far, at least, NRG seems to be doing a much better job of location selection than Ecotality or Nissan (although they're still installing the chargers singly); we'll see how they do re maintenance etc. Most of Nissan's screw-ups were unnecessary and self-inflicted, and you're assuming that every other company will be as ponderous and unwilling to listen to outside advice as Nissan was (and largely still is). It may be so, but Nissan's incompetence re just about all things EV _other_ than putting the LEAF into production, has been breathtaking. Tesla has shown what can be accomplished, as have the states of Oregon and Washington, so there's plenty of space for improvement with CCS. It would only take one dedicated and informed person with decision power to do it right.

gra said:
Most of Nissan's screw-ups were unnecessary and self-inflicted, and you're assuming that every other company will be as ponderous and unwilling to listen to outside advice as Nissan was (and largely still is). It may be so, but Nissan's incompetence re just about all things EV _other_plenty of space than putting the LEAF into production, has been breathtaking. Tesla has shown what can be accomplished, as have the states of Oregon and Washington, so there's plenty of space for improvement with CCS. It would only take one dedicated and informed person with decision power to do it right.
Nissan has been willing to listen, at least on certain topics. In the meeting at Google in December 2011 that I was present at, many of the suggestions were incorporated into the '13 Leaf.

They've unfortunately more recently done some bizarro about faces (e.g. '14 removing the 80% charge option, in order to avoid the dumb EPA 80%/100% rating trap instead of providing more charge to __ % options.)

But, re: DC FC infrastructure, yes, as you've seen their execution (including communication) vs. the initial statements/promises leaves a lot to be desired. They were hiring temps for http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=12277.

I wish there were a good forum where Nissan would listen re: where to place DC FCs and why. It's not clear they monitor http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=11385 or any other feedback mechanism on these asks.

Yep, Tesla's set the bar.

Totally agree w/the bolded part. This is a golden opportunity for J1772 CCS camp, if they can do it right. They can fill in geographic areas where there's decent EV demand and where there's little or no CHAdeMO thus grabbing a lead over the CHAdeMO camp in those areas.

cwerdna said:
Totally agree w/the bolded part. This is a golden opportunity for J1772 CCS camp, if they can do it right. They can fill in geographic areas where there's decent EV demand and where there's little or no CHAdeMO thus grabbing a lead over the CHAdeMO camp in those areas.

That option has been available all along. They could have been signing contracts for locations just waiting for the day Frankenplug was a "go".

They still can.

CHAdeMO Officially Recognized as International DC Charging Standard by IEC
http://insideevs.com/chademo-officially-recognized-international-charging-standard-iec/

SAE combo plug officially recognized as an international DC charging standard by ICE.

CHAdeMO Association announced a major milestone as the CHAdeMO protocol is now officially recognized as an international DC charging standard by the International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) alongside Combo plug for U.S. and Europe and Chinese GB/T plug

As Gra posted at http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?p=363545#p363545
Tesla Supercharger # of states/locations/stalls as of 4/22/2014: 29/86/548
This map shows all known SCs open, under construction or permitted, updated as needed: http://supercharge.info/

As I posted at http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=6842#p6842:
Plugshare shows only 7 SAE Combo DC FCs in the US, 3 are in states where no J1772 CCS compatible cars are even sold.

Two new stations announced in bay area at BMW dealers, once installed brings total number of stations in US to 11.

xylhim said:
Two new stations announced in bay area at BMW dealers, once installed brings total number of stations in US to 11.
Putting them at dealers is better than nothing, but I'm pulling for other locations. I hope they'll be available 24/7, but am not holding my breath. Still, BMW is putting some money out, and that's good. The one in San Rafael near the west end of the bridge will be very useful for west Marin and points north on 101. Access on/off 580 isn't all that convenient, but doable, and it's close to the junction with 101. The one in Berkeley can be very awkward to get to during rush hour.

633 CHAdeMO DC Fast Chargers In The U.S., 3,816 Worldwide
http://insideevs.com/633-chademo-dc-fast-chargers-u-s-3740-worldwide/
http://www.chademo.com/
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1093001_nissans-dc-quick-charging-stations-630-chademo-sites-live-today

Either 14 or 15 CCS locations in the U.S. now. One of the 5 in SoCal has now disappeared from the Plugshare map, and I'm still unsure if the Marin BMW one actually exists. People need to stop posting 'coming soon' locations on Plugshare. If NRG-eVgo has started to retrofit their sites as posted in another topic, we should see the numbers in California really take off in the next few months.

Back