Future Collectible Car

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The driving dynamics give it an endearing quality that will keep it well loved over time.

LOL...I had to chuckle a bit to this statement. Endearing? The biggest let down..in my opinion...about the Spark EV is the ride. It's mushy, bouncy, very dangerously sprung.

I had to make a seriously rapid lane change not too long ago and the car was bouncing and rebounding all over the place. It's a real shortcoming and hazard IMO. That and the tires. Fix those to issues and I'll venture to say we would gain at least a 10-15% performance gain just by these two things alone.

RichV said:
Not sure about the last point. My wife dusted me in our Sienna minivan. :oops:

The Spark EV's weak point is the off the line performance. It's the mid-range acceleration where I've embarrassed some seriously quick cars. I don't bother going off the line anymore because A) the traction is terrible, B) the suspension is so loose that the nose lift up makes traction even worse, and C) the inverter simply doesn't allow full power to be pumped out from zero.

Try again on a roll, it'll destroy that minivan.

As much as we'd like to think it's a future collectible, my guess is most of the Spark EV's will end up in the junkyard/scrapped when the battery eventually fails.
The technology will be surpassed, probably sooner than you think. The 2016 Volt will have 50-60 mile EV range. Imagine a 2020 or 2025 Volt? And don't forget the upcoming 200-mile EV.

The only way to keep the Spark as a potential "collectable" car is to buy one outright, with very few miles, and keep it charged and in a climate controlled warehouse so the battery doesn't degrade.
And that carries with it the risk that someone, somewhere will be willing to pay you top dollar for it in 10, 20 or even 30 years from now.

There are very few individuals that can cough up that kind of $$$ and have an interest in these things. There's only one Jay Leno. Other car collectors at an auction are more likely to be bidding on a rare Ferrari or Corvette.

sv650john said:
As much as we'd like to think it's a future collectible, my guess is most of the Spark EV's will end up in the junkyard/scrapped when the battery eventually fails.
The technology will be surpassed, probably sooner than you think. The 2016 Volt will have 50-60 mile EV range. Imagine a 2020 or 2025 Volt? And don't forget the upcoming 200-mile EV.
Actually, this makes the case FOR it being collectible. Rarity. Not many will survive because not many were made. I haven't seen a 2016 model appear, yet, on Chevy's home page - yet other 2016 models are all there.

As for the battery, well, that might not be an issue at all. The battery could be restored, potentially. I agree, it should have very low miles and be in pristine condition - and be DCFC. I totally think it will be worth money someday. Mine? No. I plan on driving it until the lease is up.

Back