Pay by The Mile Road Use Charge

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
EldRitch said:
The roads should get better
I'm skeptical about that part.
Yeah, it's all just games they play. They say the money goes to fix the roads, but not really. In a big bureaucracy, it leaks and standards lowered. That's why I'm opposed to volunteering for this scam. They could just call it a fee instead of tax and collect however much they want. I'll avoid this fee as long as I can.

In CA, they have what's called "fire fee" that's levied on rural households. They call it a fee, because they supposedly provide fire service, the same kind you get in cities, yet cities do not pay this extra "fee". Money doesn't go to especially help improve fire service to those who pay. So the distinction of fee (no vote needed, supposed to be for services rendered) vs tax (vote needed, for general use) is moot.

For road use charge, just call it a fee and charge it to people however they see fit, which they'll probably do anyway, whether that's called tax or fee. In the end, roads will still be about the same amount disrepair whatever they decide to charge due to big bureaucracy leaking, etc.

Back