Replacement battery cost

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm doing the same record keeping on a spread sheet.
Mostly my data is dozens of pics on my phone. I need to put them in the .xls.
I now try to take a pic of 'energy usage' and the main display to get odometer/trip info. I didn't always include that pic.

My last entry was 12-14-16 , 28,179 miles, 55% used, 10.0 kWh = 18.18 kWh. (I was in the tropics for 2 weeks!!)
I have a field titled "% of Orig-Cap". But I can't find a solid answer to what a '14 was rated at? I'm using 19.5 kWh,, but I don't know where I pulled that from... Anyone???

These are my columns, but some are empty: Mileage- Date- % Used- kWh used- Present Capacity kWh- Temp- Trip Dist.- Trip mi./ kWh- % of Orig-Cap

agdodgerfan,
70 k miles is awesome!
Any issues?
I wonder if you're the record holder?
Lease or long term?

Tony Williams in his range test showed 2014 MY (model year) to be 98 miles at 5 mi/kWh = 19.6 kWh. MY 2015 was 88 miles at 5 mi/kWh = 17.6 kWh.

However, my 2015 shows 50% to be 9.1 kWh, which would mean 18.2 kWh just last week. When I averaged about 100 readings taken at roughly 1% interval to minimize rounding / significant figure errors, I get 18.05 kWh.

So unless you took the reading when the car was new, it'd be hard to find accurate figure, and you just have to guess what it was when new. I'm guessing 19.5 kWh for 2014, 18.4 kWh for 2015+.

SparkevBlogspot said:
Tony Williams in his range test showed 2014 MY (model year) to be 98 miles at 5 mi/kWh = 19.6 kWh. MY 2015 was 88 miles at 5 mi/kWh = 17.6 kWh.

However, my 2015 shows 50% to be 9.1 kWh, which would mean 18.2 kWh just last week. When I averaged about 100 readings taken at roughly 1% interval to minimize rounding / significant figure errors, I get 18.05 kWh.

So unless you took the reading when the car was new, it'd be hard to find accurate figure, and you just have to guess what it was when new. I'm guessing 19.5 kWh for 2014, 18.4 kWh for 2015+.
I have early data for my 2014 Spark EV 2LT at 1700 miles - 19.81 kWh [3 full charging sessions] - and for my 2015 Spark EV 2LT at 1700 miles - 18.61 kWh [11 full charging sessions].

Thanks guys,
for showing data for what to use for the field ' % of Original Capacity '.

But is there no Official number from the manufacturer?

Does anyone have any insight to Norton's question of what the original usable capacity is for a 2014 MY?

I have 45k miles on my 2014MY and it showed 83% used to be 13.5kWh on 3/2/17. I think I'm trending at a rate that will require a battery replacement before the warranty expires, but I'm trying to figure out how far away that is.

mostapasta said:
...I have 45k miles on my 2014MY and it showed 83% used to be 13.5kWh on 3/2/17. I think I'm trending at a rate that will require a battery replacement before the warranty expires, but I'm trying to figure out how far away that is.

That is only one data point. From the plots posted on this forum you can see daily data points can vary, a lot. You can't say you have a trend yet.

Your one data point is around 75%, if it is a 19.5 kWh pack, correct?

Without GM saying what the starting point of a 8yr / 100k mile warranty is,,, again,, only time will tell.

NORTON said:
mostapasta said:
...I have 45k miles on my 2014MY and it showed 83% used to be 13.5kWh on 3/2/17. I think I'm trending at a rate that will require a battery replacement before the warranty expires, but I'm trying to figure out how far away that is.

That is only one data point. From the plots posted on this forum you can see daily data points can vary, a lot. You can't say you have a trend yet.

Your one data point is around 75%, if it is a 19.5 kWh pack, correct?

Without GM saying what the starting point of a 8yr / 100k mile warranty is,,, again,, only time will tell.

FWIW -

My 2014 Spark EV had 1500 miles on it when I bought it and my average battery capacity for a few charging cycles at that time was 19.81 kWh. Today, at ~10K miles, my average battery capacity for February is 17.81 kWh.

For my 2015 Spark EV, which I leased new, I had, at ~2000 miles, a starting average battery capacity value of 18.65 kWh. Today, at ~16k miles, my average battery capacity for February is 17.35 kWh.

On the Bolt forum I found a posting regarding Battery Pack Testing Results - 2015 Chevy Spark EV (given below). Rated Pack Energy / Capacity was 18.4 kWh / 54 Ah. There are two test point given. Baseline battery capacity at 400 miles was 18.3 kWh. 4000 mile battery capacity was 17.7 kWh. The battery capacity degraded 0.6 kWh in 3600 miles.

I averaged my battery capacity data for July-August 2015 and the average was 18.61 kWh. I repeated the calculation for the same period in 2016 and the average was 17.95 kWh. 10,000 miles had been driven in that interval. The GM HV battery warranty is for 8 years or 100K miles and the battery can degrade no more than 35%. At my present driving rate, I will reach 8 years before I reach 100k miles. A degradation rate of 0.66 kWh per year means my battery capacity could degrade by 5.3 kWh at the end of the warranty. If the starting battery capacity IS 18.4 kWh, my battery will have degraded by 28.7% which is within the warranty limits. My average full-charge range over the last year is 91.3 miles (includes cold weather winter driving). This could drop to 65 miles or lower at the end of the battery warranty. Cold weather could be a concern since my current cold weather range average is ~75 miles. I estimate my cold weather full-charge range would drop to ~54 miles or lower if the battery degrades as calculated.

Reference: https://avt.inl.gov/sites/default/files/pdf/fsev/batterySpark9952.pdf

Understood about the variability. I've had multiple readings now in this range since I started tracking a few weeks ago.

My usage is also probably much different than most Spark EV owners, as I've done all my travel up in cold MI.

mostapasta said:
Understood about the variability. ...

My usage is also probably much different than most Spark EV owners, as I've done all my travel up in cold MI.
Oh man,, that can't be fun...
But hang in there. Spring is only a few more months away for you! :lol:

All car are less efficient in cold weather.
You would think with the Spark EV's TMS the battery should not have SAD (seasonal affective disorder)[like the rest of us :cry: ],, but the plots seem to show this.
If the car is running or plugged in the battery should be at a happy temp.

I have a tasty spread sheet for plotting. I could try to share the template. Others here have better skills and can make their's generate a graph also !

Back