List of known SAE combo plug quick charge stations

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
jay5729 said:
jay5729 said:
Saceva updated their post that the opening of the SAE combo station at SMUD on 6th is postponed because of "legal reasons".
Ok . once again saceva Facebook page says that the legal issues have been worked out and the quick charger is now open.
Very favorably priced if the Plugshare info is correct - $0.22/kWh + $0.35 transaction fee. That makes six CCS locations in California, 2 Norcal and 4 SoCal.

Another dealer in the bay area is listed on plugshare to be getting SAE combo (BMW of Fremont), in addition, a public charger in Denver just opened up with a SAE combo connector. This brings the total number of chargers up to 13 stateside!

xylhim said:
Another dealer in the bay area is listed on plugshare to be getting SAE combo (BMW of Fremont), in addition, a public charger in Denver just opened up with a SAE combo connector. This brings the total number of chargers up to 13 stateside!
Well, 10 actual plus three planned. Still a lot faster than CHAdeMO's initial pace in the US.

gra said:
xylhim said:
Well, 10 actual plus three planned. Still a lot faster than CHAdeMO's initial pace in the US.

I suspect that the BMW dealers will be the very first Frankenplug only station.

The first CCS in Oregon is now under construction, or maybe operational. It's in Arlington, near the junction of I-84 and S.R. 19 (John Day Highway). See Plugshare for details. Arlington is 136 miles east of Portland, so they'll need at least one more location in between. Hood River, 62 miles out, would be a good spot. The Dalles and/or Biggs are also good sites, albeit further east, and Cascade Locks is further west. There are already CHAdeMO at Cascade Locks, Hood River and The Dalles, so no-brainers to put CCS there too.

gra said:
The first CCS in Oregon is now under construction, or maybe operational. It's in Arlington, near the junction of I-84 and S.R. 19 (John Day Highway). See Plugshare for details. Arlington is 136 miles east of Portland, so they'll need at least one more location in between. Hood River, 62 miles out, would be a good spot. The Dalles and/or Biggs are also good sites, albeit further east, and Cascade Locks is further west. There are already CHAdeMO at Cascade Locks, Hood River and The Dalles, so no-brainers to put CCS there too.

To be clear, this station is NOT yet in operation. It's very close, but not quite there. There are several that are currently under construction in Oregon, and I've been trying to keep tabs on them, but none are fully operational yet. I'll be trying out anything in shot of Portland as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I had one of the first SAE combo cars in Oregon, so I've been (im)patiently waiting for a while.

Very soon, stay tuned!

Bryce

Nashco said:
gra said:
To be clear, this station is NOT yet in operation. It's very close, but not quite there. There are several that are currently under construction in Oregon, and I've been trying to keep tabs on them, but none are fully operational yet. I'll be trying out anything in shot of Portland as soon as the opportunity presents itself. I had one of the first SAE combo cars in Oregon, so I've been (im)patiently waiting for a while.

Very soon, stay tuned!

Bryce
Thanks, the Plugshare comments were a bit ambiguous as to whether or not it was operational yet.

I'd been wondering why the first one is so far out from Portland, as you can't get to it without an intermediate charger, but it seems they probably have others underway that are closer in. Do you know of any listing of which sites are under construction? I assume they'd want to do the Mt. Hood Loop and the coast early.

Hey guys,
So I'm a student at CSUF where we have two Chademo chargers and 9 L2 (with more planned) and I recently emailed the man in charge of our EV infrastructure Doug Kind. I asked him if there were any plans to add an SAE combo station to our current consortium and he said this "Once we get a more EVs on campus with the SAE plug we will start working on supporting that as well. So, if you see any of them on campus, tell them to write me. Comments from student, faculty and staff help a lot!"

Idk if anyone else here has a spark or bmw and goes to CSUF, but I would encourage everyone in the area to send him an email at [email protected] asking for an SAE station.

I 'd written a post about this is the past few days, but it seems to be one of the several that disappeared, so here it is again. On Plugshare the CCS icon listed as 'coming soon' at Weatherford BMW in Berkeley has disappeared. I don't know whether they changed their minds or else this is a Plugshare glitch, as stations that are physically still there occasionally 'go missing' from the map for no obvious reason.

Also, the CCS at Portland State U is now on the map.

gra said:
I 'd written a post about this is the past few days, but it seems to be one of the several that disappeared...
Not sure what was going on w/some of the disappearing posts and threads (e.g. evboy's).

You could always try submitting important posts and threads to https://archive.org/.

The first SAE combo DC charger in Oregon is now live and ready for public consumption. I updated PlugShare. It is located at Electric Avenue next to the Portland State University campus. It worked without a hiccup, putting an indicated 47 kW maximum into the battery when I plugged in at roughly 65%.

Having only a single DC charge experience, I'm already absolutely thrilled at how much more enjoyable the experience is compared to using chademo on our Leaf. Finally an experience that is completely intuitive, just like the level 1/2 plugs we're all used to. Yay for forward progress!

Bryce

On the extremely unlikely chance that anyone has any intention of shipping their Spark EV to Europe, here's some maps showing current CCS (and for info, CHAdeMO) chargers there:

http://insideevs.com/ccs-charge-map-europe/

xylhim said:
Fremont's now disappeared from Plugshare, just like Weatherford in Berkeley. Anyone know why?

gra said:
xylhim said:
Fremont's now disappeared from Plugshare, just like Weatherford in Berkeley. Anyone know why?

I remember some time ago that PlugShare was weeding at "pending" stations. So, they may still be coming, but PlugShare removed them because BMW (or the dealers) prematurely posted them?

Best guess. I haven't heard ANY announcement of specific BMW dealers getting DC chargers, and BMW is not shy about blowing their own horn... who knows?

TonyWilliams said:
gra said:
I remember some time ago that PlugShare was weeding at "pending" stations. So, they may still be coming, but PlugShare removed them because BMW (or the dealers) prematurely posted them?

Best guess. I haven't heard ANY announcement of specific BMW dealers getting DC chargers, and BMW is not shy about blowing their own horn... who knows?
Could be, although that leaves the question of why the 'Coming soon' CCS at the Marin BMW dealer is still up, as it and Weatherford were the first two to be listed. I agree that not putting 'coming soon' stations on the map is a good idea. If Plugshare is actually weeding that's great - I know they left an L2 site on the map for over a year after it had been physically removed, despite a couple of emails from me pointing out that it was gone. They've been much more responsive recently, answering emails and correcting problems.

Arlington, OR is apparently now live per Plugshare. And there are other CCS shown at the BMW dealers in Bellevue, Wa. and Harriman, NY. Whether these prove to be ephemeral like Berkeley and Fremont or actually exist remains to be seen, although someone did report using the one in Bellevue (at least, they reported charging there, but there are also L2s on site so who knows).

gra said:
On the extremely unlikely chance that anyone has any intention of shipping their Spark EV to Europe, here's some maps showing current CCS (and for info, CHAdeMO) chargers there:

That wouldn't help since they don't use J1772 CCS (aka Combo1) there. In Europe, they use Combo2. See http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5012#p5012.

This is part of why Tony has kept mentioning that CHAdeMO is a world standard.

cwerdna said:

Yep.

My current prediction is that if BMW and Nissan both adopt the Tesla Supercharger (they seem to be in talks), then CCS will drop from the world fast.

I think even CHAdeMO's days would be numbered.

cwerdna said:
gra said:

That wouldn't help since they don't use J1772 CCS (aka Combo1) there. In Europe, they use Combo2. See http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5012#p5012.

Yes, I know that CCS1 and CCS2 are different. OTOH, I expect that making an adapter from one to the other will be a lot simpler than going to/from CCS (either) to CHAdeMO. And as I've said, I expect that the number of people for whom this will even be an issue is miniscule, and of those almost all will have no trouble affording an adapter. Or Tesla will take over the world (outside China). Don't know, don't care. I'll use whichever gives whichever BEV I wind up getting the utility I need, at the time when said BEV is available and affordable. Or an FCEV, if that meets my needs sooner.

Back on topic, another couple of CCS have popped up on Plugshare, in Arizona at Chapman BMW in Chandler, and another in Overland Park, KS, at "Sprint Campus." And per the comments on Plugshare, another Eaton CCS will soon be installed at VW ERL in Belmont, Ca., so I make the total now around 17 in the U.S.

Back