LRR Tire Availability (besides OE Ecopia EP150)

Chevy Spark EV Forum

Help Support Chevy Spark EV Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zoomit said:
There is no "right" answer, but the Tire Rack test results showed the Premier's mileage to be in the middle of the three other tires they compared it to.

Half way down in this: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=188

Either way, the General G-Max AS-03 should definitely be considered as well.

I was basing the mileage statement on the owner's reviews, several people remarked that their gas mileage dropped noticeably. Unfortunately Consumer Reports hasn't tested the Premier yet, so there's no objective (as objective as CR is) rating.

Nice that we have a lot of choices!

Yeah--it's hard to get objective mileage opinions. This is especially true in the TR owner's reviews because, as I understand it, new tires will usually show a decreased mileage for a few hundred miles as compared to bald, but similar, tires.

I had to work anyway today, so in the gaps I put together a spreadsheet that lists:

a) all of the tires available for the Spark EV in size 195/55-15 (which we now know fit on all four corners of the Spark) that Tire Rack lists

and

b) are rated by Consumer Reports.

The tires are broken up into type, then sorted by CU's overall rating. You can re-sort the spreadsheet version to optimize whatever criteria is important to you. In the criteria, 5=best, 1=worst.

There are more tires available for the Spark than this, of course, but this is the intersection between Consumer Reports data and what is available via Tire Rack.

Enjoy!

EDIT: link to the Dropbox folder that contains MS, Open Doc, and PDF formats:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/rmy3ag58ud9a46y/AACxjB6lPVuc8vU4Lp7yThpta?dl=0

Thanks for putting this together. The .xlsx file did open in Excel.

Too bad the Michelin Premier hasn't been rated by CR. It would be nice to compare to these others.

It's hard to assess the CR rating for rolling resistance. What does the difference between a 1 and a 5 mean in real life? Is a 1-rated tire a 10% range loss from a 5-rated tire or is it only 2%? Without that kind of absolute quantifier, the rating itself is of little use as a discriminator. I couldn't find any specific guidance on the CR website but I don't have access to all the data.

nikwax said:
I'm open to adding other sizes, if we knew what else fits. 60 series would open up some more tires.
Per http://www.mychevysparkev.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=12022#p12022, 205/50-15 works on stock wheels. That's certainly more aggressive than the standard tires and the options at that size lean toward higher performance.

Mounting 205s would of course lower range/MPGe over a narrower tire, even using the same kind of tire. But some may find that tradeoff worthwhile.

Another option would be to increase the fronts to 195/55-15 and the rears to 205/50-15. This would help maintain the same handling balance that came from the factory 185 & 195 F/R split. (That may be not be desired for some looking to reduce understeer.)

Unfortunately the only All Season tire available in both those sizes from TireRack is the Kumho Ecsta PA31. While relatively cheap, that tire doesn't have any LRR credentials.

I saw another thread where someone had switched to a high performance tire that is relatively high rolling resistance, and they had lost 10-15 miles of range, which is significant in my mind. In the Tire Rack tests that I've read, it's not unusual to see 10-20% difference amongst tires in the same class. So certainly keeping an eye on the rolling resistance if that is an issue.

Thanks for the update. I suspect the options available with the 205s are focused on the performance Miata crowd.

I read up on how Consumer Reports is measuring rolling resistance, they do it on a dyno like this:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_rolling_resistance_tire#Measuring_rolling_resistance_in_tires

CR recommends focusing on handling and not on rolling resistance.

It would be nice if CR published their measured rolling resistance coefficient for the tires they test. I suppose they don't because people will misconstrue the data and compare tires of difference sizes. The RRCs are really only useful when comparing the same size tire.

I completely agree with their line to not overly focus on rolling resistance. But the Spark EV has the equivalent of a half gallon fuel tank (19 kWh / 33.7 kWh/gal) so every bit of efficiency matters to me when I typically use more than 80% of the battery each day. I want to compromise a little from the efficiency of the Ecopia's to get better grip and handling, but would like to know what the range hit will be before committing.

I got spanked in an impromptu drag race today by an older Acura. Not dangerous street racing or anything, just gunning it off the line trying to beat the other guy to the merge. It was a friendly mutual thing. I have had it though, no way I should have lost. The road was a little bumpy and my tires were chirping and squealing off the line, right until TCS kicked in and killed my power. Buh-by Acura...

Sports oriented folks... would better tires even help here? seems more like suspension or weight distribution issues with the wheel hopping and chirping. The acura just pulled away smoothly and quietly as I was squealing and chirping along... Thinking maybe just turn off TCS and let them squeal? I dunno, I really don't use all of my range (the max I've driven in a day is 60 miles) so I could get away with stickier tires. I just wonder how much it would really help on acceleration and cornering (there's definite squealing happening there too).

And do I have to do all four tires, or can I get away with just the fronts?

First off: you have to do all four tires.

The stock tires are optimized for range, likely at the expense of every other quality a tire possesses. Have a look at the vast selection of tires available in 195/55-15 size, there are tires for a broad variety of requirements.

To follow-up nikwax.

Yes, you'll need to do all four tires, especially when changing the general tire type. Otherwise you can really screw up the handling at the limit. You might not see it driving around, but that critical stop in wet weather or quick turn to avoid another car could turn out much worse than expected if you mount dissimilar tires.

Tire won't make it a dragster, but the Ecopia's do compromise grip for the sake of range. All the tires in the above discussions should improve dry (and probably wet) traction thus improving acceleration, deceleration, and turning performance. I can't say how much you'd notice the change, and it certainly depends on the tire, but I would expect 1) more cornering grip in a hard turn, 2) better hook-up and acceleration from a low speed, 3) better feel for the tire's adhesion limits in a turn and 4) better braking performance. All of this with less squealing from the tires. I don't know how much, say, the Michelin Premier's would improve 0-30 or 0-60 acceleration runs but I'm confident they won't hurt!

I'll also note that just flooring the throttle will not necessarily be the fastest launch. Typically keeping the tires at the limit of adhesion; but not spinning, hopping or activating traction control; will be the fastest.

Zoomit said:
It would be nice if CR published their measured rolling resistance coefficient for the tires they test. I suppose they don't because people will misconstrue the data and compare tires of difference sizes. The RRCs are really only useful when comparing the same size tire.

I completely agree with their line to not overly focus on rolling resistance. But the Spark EV has the equivalent of a half gallon fuel tank (19 kWh / 33.7 kWh/gal) so every bit of efficiency matters to me when I typically use more than 80% of the battery each day. I want to compromise a little from the efficiency of the Ecopia's to get better grip and handling, but would like to know what the range hit will be before committing.

Looks like the EU has alphabetical rolling resistance grading for tires:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tyre_label

and look, the Ecopia 150 is only a "B" in fuel efficiency for the 185 and "C" for the 195:

http://www.bridgestone.co.uk/auto/ranges/ecopia/ep150/

Back